web counter The Madness of MokcikNab: In the Still of the Night, In the Harsh Morning Light
The Madness of MokcikNab
Motives, movements and melodrama in the life of a thirty something mum.


Friday, September 03, 2004
In the Still of the Night, In the Harsh Morning Light

Many many years ago, before 1998, a handful of journalists were on a chartered flight with the former Deputy Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim. We had just completed a ten-day tour of Korea and Japan and he was in high spirits. He wanted to talk and saw me reading an English translation of Heike Monogatari.

"What is it about?", he inquired.
I wish I had the gift of clairvoyance, for I would have told him it was a cautionary tale. But at that moment, all you could think was : wow, The Man spoke to me, a reporter cabuk.

Oh, if only the road ahead for Malaysia post-September 2004, could be foretold by gazing into a crystal ball. Then I would know what I'm setting myself up for. I wouldn't be hanging on every word, tossing and turning, tossing and turning.

"Please stop analysing", my husband pleaded, "I want to get some sleep".

I couldn't help myself - an event like this puts you in assignment editor mode automatically, and you forget there are no more flanks to cover.

Kamarul was surprisingly kindly : "Tonight, just savour the moment", he said, "For old time's sake".

Begrudgingly, he was right : because in the morning, you get to see the business end of things.





........................................................................................................


Comments: Post a Comment